• About 100,000 times per second an Internet address ending with .DE is called up from somewhere in the world. Today, there are more than 14.6 million such addresses, and about 3,000 new ones are added every day.
• .DE enables you to protect your business online, a domain with .DE makes your web address unique and easy to memorize. A .DE extension is doing much more, helping you reach and communicate with the audience in Germany.
• At first, the administration of domains was carried out informally. The names and associated computer addresses were entered into a list.
• In August of 1993, a foundation was established through the initiative of the then three German Internet Service Providers, the "Interessenverbund Deutsches Network Information Center (IV-DENIC)" to put out to tender the operation of the nationwide name server service.
• In 1994, the University of Karlsruhe took over the administration and registration of the .de domains for an initial period of three years. The number of domains reached 20,000 in 96.
• The assembly of the IV-DENIC decided to found a cooperative society to administrate the German domains and provide the necessary infrastructure. The headquarters were established in Frankfurt.
• Now, more than 100 people handle the over eleven million domains and make certain that the domain database, the name server for the .de domains and additional DENIC services are operational round the clock. Besides, for nearly all its services, DENIC now has complete hardware redundancy.